Knockbaun

Antoinette Lydon

My location
Get Directions

Knockbaun is in the civil parish of Kilcummin. The civil Parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish of Kilcummin, Galway West. In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same as is the case in the Kilcummin Oughterard area.

Knockbaun is in the Electoral Division of Oughterard, in Civil Parish of Kilcummin, in the Barony of Moycullen, in the County of Galway

Irish Form of Name: Cnoc Bán

Translation: white hill

Parish: Kilcummin
View all place names in this civil parish.

Other Forms of the Name with the authority source (if provided) in italics.

Knockbaun
Cnoc Bán
Knockbaan Boundary Surveyor
Knockbane Barony Cess Book
Cnockbawn or green hill Local
Knockbane Rector of Kilcummin
Green Hill
Knockbane Inquis. Temp. Jac. I

Knockbaun contains 77½ acres about 70 acres are under tillage and pasture, the remainder is bog. There is a group of houses situate close to its northern boundary.

Proprietor Robert Martin, Ross, rented to tenants without lease.

Situated in the northern extremity of the parish.

Knockbaun borders the following other townlands:

Landlord

Martin (Ross) – The Martin family was established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O’Flahertys. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O’Hara, daughter of Robert O’Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke’s ”Landed Gentry”, a grandniece of James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well-known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates’ Court in May 1885.

Proprietor; Robert Martin of Ross

Information on the owner’s family from the Landed Estates Database;

Robert Martin is a member of the Martin (Ross) family.

Information from the Down Survey Website:

The Down Survey is a mapped survey. Using the Civil Survey as a guide, teams of surveyors, mainly former soldiers, were sent out under Petty’s direction to measure every townland to be forfeited to soldiers and adventurers. The resulting maps, made at a scale of 40 perches to one inch (the modern equivalent of 1:50,000), were the first systematic mapping of a large area on such a scale attempted anywhere. The primary purpose of these maps was to record the boundaries of each townland and to calculate their areas with great precision. The maps are also rich in other detail showing churches, roads, rivers, castles, houses and fortifications. Most towns are represented pictorially and the cartouches, the decorative titles, of each map in many cases reflect a specific characteristic of each barony. http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/

The Down Survey website will tell you who owned this townland in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and in 1671 (post Cromwell).

Townland of KNOCKBAUN (Moycullen By)

Down Survey Name: Knockbanebegg
1641 Owner(s): O’Flahartye, Daniell McMurragh (Catholic)
1670 Owner(s): Bingham, Sir George (Protestant)
County: Galway
Barony: Muckullin
Parish: Killcumyn
Profitable land: 25 plantation acres
Forfeited: 25 plantation acres

Down Survey website

The Tithe Applotment Books

About the Records

Tithes were a tax on agricultural produce which was payable by the occupiers of agricultural land. They were the main source of income for the parish clergy of the Church of Ireland (the largest Protestant church and the church established by law). However, in many parishes a large part of the tithes were ‘appropriate’, which meant that they were payable to a bishop, cathedral chapter or other ecclesiastical recipient, or were ‘impropriate’, which generally meant that they were payable to a local landowner. The parishes used in the Tithe Applotment Books are civil or Church of Ireland parishes, which often differ in name and territory from Catholic parishes,

Acts of Parliament of 1823 and 1832 provided for the conversion of tithes into a fixed charge on land, and specified the average price of wheat or oats in the parish in the seven years before 1821 as the basis on which the tithes would be calculated. They also extended the application of tithes to pasture, where previously they had been levied only on tillage.

This change in the law resulted in the valuation of individual holdings in almost all parishes containing agricultural land, in order to assess the portion of the tithes for which each occupier of land would be liable. The apportionment was recorded for each Church of Ireland parish in a Tithe Composition Applotment Book. The information was collected and the amounts were calculated by two Parochial Commissioners, one of whom was appointed by the cess-payers of the parish and the other by the relevant Diocese of the Church of Ireland. This procedure was carried out in over 2,500 parishes between the years 1823 and 1837.

The Tithe Applotment Books are in a variety of formats, from a few pages sewn together to elaborately bound volumes. In most cases they are written in manuscript throughout, although some consist of manuscript entries on printed questionnaires. The information in the books is broadly uniform and generally includes at least the name of occupier; the size of holding, the valuation and the tithe payable. In some cases more detailed information is provided. Some volumes have maps and most have certificates and correspondence attached.

The sub-divisions of the parish were recorded. Some of these subdivisions, such as ploughlands, ceased to be in official use after the six inch survey of the Ordnance Survey was completed in the 1840s. Only productive land was subject to tithe, and the books usually distinguish between this tithable land and untithable land such as roads or mountains. Tithable land was in some cases classified by quality, and a money value was given to each class. In some cases the proportion of tithe payable to the rector, vicar or lay proprietor of the tithes was set out. The column for observations was sometimes completed, with information about commonage, for example.

There are a number of other points that should be noted. The acreages given in the Tithe Applotment Books are in Irish or Plantation measure, which is 1.62 times larger than statute measure. Only occupiers of land at the time of the tithe composition are recorded, so not all heads of households living in a parish at the time are included. Only rural areas are systematically covered, although inhabitants of towns who held plots of cultivable land are included. The equivalent tax in urban areas, Minister’s Money, has left few records.

The Tithe Applotment Books are an important source of information for a wide variety of researchers of pre-Famine Ireland. They provide the first surviving national list of the occupiers of land, and are used by genealogists as a partial substitute for returns of the 1821 and 1831 censuses of population, which were destroyed in 1922. They also record information on the quality of land, and provide information on pre-Ordnance Survey territorial divisions, some of which were not recognized after the 1840s.

The National Archives hold the original Tithe Applotment Books only for the twenty-six counties of the Republic of Ireland. The books for the six counties of Northern Ireland are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast. (http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp)

No information available.

Griffiths Valuation – 1850’s

In Griffith’s valuation the area was 77 acres, 1 rood & 38 perch with a land value £12 10s 0d for each occupier. There was herd’s house in the townland. Value of Buildings was £0 5s & 0d. Total Rateable Valuation was £25 10s 0d.

Occupiers of Land – John Kelly & Bartholomew Walsh.

Immediate Lessor – Robert Martin

View the heads of households in the townland at this time

Poor Law Union Ireland

In Ireland the Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided into districts or “unions” in which the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony. Further subdivision into 828 registration districts and 3,751 district electoral divisions followed. Townlands were not arranged according to these divisions with parish and barony retained as a means to make comparisons with records gathered before 1898.

The 1838 Act

The main provisions of the 1838 Act were:

  • The extension of the existing Poor Law Commissioners’ powers to Ireland, with the appointment of Assistant Commissioners who were to implement the Act in Ireland.
  • The division of the country into Poor Law Unions based on Irish electoral divisions which were they made up from townlands.
  • The creation of a Board of Guardians for each Union, two-thirds of whom were to be elected, the other third to be appointed ex officio.
  • The setting up of a workhouse in each Union.
  • The collection of a local poor-rate to finance the system.
  • Assistance for emigration.

Initially, 130 Unions were created, based upon 2,049 electoral divisions. The divisions were composed of townlands, a peculiarly Irish unit, traditionally of 120 Irish acres in area. (Between 1848 and 1850, an additional 33 Unions were created by subdividing and reorganizing the boundaries of some existing Unions, particularly in the west of the country.

Boards of Guardians were elected annually on 25th March. Only rate-payers were eligible for election, which effectively disenfranchised most of the native Irish who were usually tenants at this time. Rate-payers were allowed between one and six votes depending on the size of a valuation of their property.

Townland Information

A townland is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion of 1169. Knockbaun is a townland.

Population & Census Information

People who lived here:

You can retrieve a list of people who lived in this townland from 1827 to 1911. This list is compiled from the following resources.

  • The Tithe Applotment Books
  • Griffith’s Valuation
  • 1901 Census
  • 1911 Census

List of nineteenth century and early twentieth century inhabitants.

1841-1891 Census

1841: 9 houses with 49 people living in Knockbaun.

1851: 5 houses with 21 people,

1861: 3 houses with 8 people,

1871: 2 houses with 1 person,

1881: 1 house with 7 people (4 males, 3 females). There was 1 out buildings. The valuation of Houses & Land in 1881 was £25 10s 0d.

1891: 2 house with 13 people (8 males, 5 females). There were 3 out buildings. The valuation of Houses & Land in 1891 was £25 10s 0d.

1901 Census

This is a return of the member of the family, their Visitors, Boarders, and Servants who slept or abode in their house on the night of 31st of March 1901 in Knockbaun. There was 1 house listed in the townland of Knockbaun. 7 (3 females/ 4 males) were all Roman Catholics. The people that lived in Knockbaun were born in Co. Galway & Boston America. There were a total of 3 farm buildings and out offices; which included cow house, stable, & a piggery.

Enumerators Extract

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840791/

House & Building Returns

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840792/

Out Offices & Farm Steadings

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840793/

House 1

Murty Molloy aged 50 was head of the family; a widower. He lived with his children Pat aged 20, Mark aged 14, Nora aged 21, Mary aged 16, Julia aged 12 & nephew James Murray aged 18, all single.

Murty was a farmer, Pat & Mark were farmer’s sons; Nora, Mary & Julia were farmer’s daughters, all born in Co. Galway, James was a agricultural labourer; he was born in Boston, America.

The entire household could read and write and spoke Irish & English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. They had a stable, cow house & a piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Oughterard/Knockbaun/1394688/

1911 Census

This is a return of the Members of the families in Knockbaun, their visitors, boarders and servants who slept or abode in the house on the night of Sunday 2nd April 1911.

There was 1 house listed in the townland of Knockbaun. Of the people living in Knockbaun all 6 (3 males/3 females) were Roman Catholics & born in Co. Galway.

There were a total of 3 farm buildings and out offices; which included cow house, stable, & a piggery.

Enumerators Extract

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002435644/

House & Building Returns

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002435646/

Out Offices & Farm Steadings

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002435648/

House 1

Marty Molloy aged 60 was head of the family; a widower. He lived with his children Patrick aged 30, Mark aged 24, Nora aged 32, Mary aged 26, Julia aged 21, all single.

Marty was a farmer, Patrick & Mark were farmer’s sons; all born in Co. Galway.

The entire household could read and write and spoke Irish & English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. They had a stable, cow house & a piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Oughterard/Knockbaun/471271

Church records of births, deaths and marriages:

Church records of births, deaths and marriages are available online at http://www.rootsireland.ie. To search these records you will need to know the ‘church parish’ rather than the ‘civil parish’. (The civil parish is the pre-reformation parish and was frequently used as a unit of administration in the past.)

Knockbaun is in the civil parish of Kilcummin.

Catholic parish:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Roman Catholic parish or parishes.

  • Clonbern & Kilkerrin in Galway East.
  • Carraroe in Galway West.
  • Kilannin in Galway West.
  • Kilcummin/Oughterard in Galway West.
  • Rosmuc in Galway West.

Church of Ireland parish:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish.

  • Kilcummin in Galway West.

In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same, but, this is not always the case.

Maps

It is located at 53° 25′ 0″ N, 9° 14′ 28″ W.

Original OS map of this area

Ireland was first mapped in the 1840s. These original maps are available online.

Knockbaun

 

Original OS maps at the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website

Below is a link to the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website. It displays the original OS map that was created in the 1840s.

Knockbaun

Information from Google Maps:

You can use this link to find this townland on Google Maps.

Google Maps

 

Information from the National Monuments Service:

You can use this link to view a map of archaelogical features. This link brings you to a website wherein you will have to search for your townland.

Archaeological map from the National Monuments Service

Galway Library Website

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/place/52819

Townlands.ie Website

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/moycullen/kilcummin/oughterard/knockbaun/

This page was added on 27/06/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *