Treasa NicDhonncha, Antoinette Lydon & Leslie Lyons
Tullaghboy is in the civil parish of Kilcummin. The civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish of Kilcummin, Galway West. In general the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same as is the case in the Kilcummin Oughterard area.
Irish Form of Name: Na Tullacha Buí (Logainm.ie)
Translation: Yellow hills
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Irish Form of Name: Tulacha Buidhe
Translation: yellow hills
Other Forms of the Name:
Tullaghabwee Tulacha Buidhe Tulacha buidhe Tullaghabwee Boundary Surveyor Tullaghabwee Local Yellow clay hillock Local
Proprietor Thomas B. Martin, Esq., Ballinahinch, has a school house near the road. Land not good, very marshy. Contains 254¼ acres, about 20 acres of which are under tillage and pasture, the remainder is mountain bog, an old road passes along its southern boundary.
In the northern extremity of the parish.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with this townland.
Thomas B. Martin of Ballynahinch Castle.
Thomas B. Martin is a member of the Martin (Ross) family.
Landed Estates Database:
Martin (Ross) – The Martin family were established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O’Flahertys. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O’Hara, daughter of Robert O’Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke’s ”Landed Gentry”, a grandniece of James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates’ Court in May 1885.
In 1845 at the time of the Great, Famine the landlord was Thomas Barnewall Martin, Esq., of Ballinahinch. Thomas Barnewall Martin (1786-1847) was the eldest son of Richard Martin (Humanity Dick) “The King of Connemara” (1734-1834). He had inherited the vast Martin Estate of some 200,000 acres following his gather’s death in 1834. He spent a great deal of money helping his tenants during the period of the Famine years and, in 1847, he in turn died of famine fever which he contracted after visiting some of those tenants at Clifden Workhouse.
Thomas B Martin had a school at Tullaghaboy the remains of which may be seen in a field at the southern end of the Townland and close to the N59.
The Down Survey is a mapped survey. Using the Civil Survey as a guide, teams of surveyors, mainly former soldiers, were sent out under Petty’s direction to measure every townland to be forfeited to soldiers and adventurers. The resulting maps, made at a scale of 40 perches to one inch (the modern equivalent of 1:50,000), were the first systematic mapping of a large area on such a scale attempted anywhere. The primary purpose of these maps was to record the boundaries of each townland and to calculate their areas with great precision. The maps are also rich in other detail showing churches, roads, rivers, castles, houses and fortifications. Most towns are represented pictorially and the cartouches, the decorative titles, of each map in many cases reflect a specific characteristic of each barony. (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie)
The Down Survey, taken between 1656 and 1658 was the first detailed land survey anywhere in the world. This was carried out by Sir William Petty a surgeon-general in the English army and it was organised in order to measure land which was to be taken from the Catholic Irish and given out to Merchant Adventurers and soldiers of the Cromwellian Army.
Tullaghaboy is named there as Tullybroda
The owner in 1641is given as Daniel Mc Murragh O’Flahartie (Catholic).
By 1670 ownership had passed to Robert Martin, born in 1714 and father of Richard Martin otherwise known as “Humanity Dick”.
Down Survey Information on Tullaghaboy
Down Survey Name: Tullybroda
1641 Owner(s): O’Flahartye, Daniell McMurragh (Catholic)
1670 Owner(s): Martin, Robert (Catholic)
Unprofitable land: 49 plantation acres
Profitable land: 70 plantation acres
Forfeited: 70 plantation acres
The Tithe Applotment Books
About the Records
Tithes were a tax on agricultural produce which was payable by the occupiers of agricultural land. They were the main source of income for the parish clergy of the Church of Ireland (the largest Protestant church and the church established by law). However, in many parishes a large part of the tithes were ‘appropriate’, which meant that they were payable to a bishop, cathedral chapter or other ecclesiastical recipient, or were ‘impropriate’, which generally meant that they were payable to a local landowner. The parishes used in the Tithe Applotment Books are civil or Church of Ireland parishes, which often differ in name and territory from Catholic parishes,
Acts of Parliament of 1823 and 1832 provided for the conversion of tithes into a fixed charge on land, and specified the average price of wheat or oats in the parish in the seven years before 1821 as the basis on which the tithes would be calculated. They also extended the application of tithes to pasture, where previously they had been levied only on tillage.
This change in the law resulted in the valuation of individual holdings in almost all parishes containing agricultural land, in order to assess the portion of the tithes for which each occupier of land would be liable. The apportionment was recorded for each Church of Ireland parish in a Tithe Composition Applotment Book. The information was collected and the amounts were calculated by two Parochial Commissioners, one of whom was appointed by the cess-payers of the parish and the other by the relevant Diocese of the Church of Ireland. This procedure was carried out in over 2,500 parishes between the years 1823 and 1837.
The Tithe Applotment Books are in a variety of formats, from a few pages sewn together to elaborately bound volumes. In most cases they are written in manuscript throughout, although some consist of manuscript entries on printed questionnaires. The information in the books is broadly uniform and generally includes at least the name of occupier; the size of holding, the valuation and the tithe payable. In some cases more detailed information is provided. Some volumes have maps and most have certificates and correspondence attached.
The sub-divisions of the parish were recorded. Some of these subdivisions, such as ploughlands, ceased to be in official use after the six inch survey of the Ordnance Survey was completed in the 1840s. Only productive land was subject to tithe, and the books usually distinguish between this tithable land and untithable land such as roads or mountains. Tithable land was in some cases classified by quality, and a money value was given to each class. In some cases the proportion of tithe payable to the rector, vicar or lay proprietor of the tithes was set out. The column for observations was sometimes completed, with information about commonage, for example.
There are a number of other points that should be noted. The acreages given in the Tithe Applotment Books are in Irish or Plantation measure, which is 1.62 times larger than statute measure. Only occupiers of land at the time of the tithe composition are recorded, so not all heads of households living in a parish at the time are included. Only rural areas are systematically covered, although inhabitants of towns who held plots of cultivable land are included. The equivalent tax in urban areas, Minister’s Money, has left few records.
The Tithe Applotment Books are an important source of information for a wide variety of researchers of pre-Famine Ireland. They provide the first surviving national list of the occupiers of land, and are used by genealogists as a partial substitute for returns of the 1821 and 1831 censuses of population, which were destroyed in 1922. They also record information on the quality of land, and provide information on pre-Ordnance Survey territorial divisions, some of which were not recognised after the 1840s.
The National Archives hold the original Tithe Applotment Books only for the twenty-six counties of the Republic of Ireland. The books for the six counties of Northern Ireland are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast. (http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp)
Tithe Applotment Record for Tullaghaboy
Listed in the Tithe Applotment book for Carrowndulla in 1829 is Thomas Lyons.
Land Liable for Tithe
The total land liable for tithes in Tullaghaboy was 7 acres. This was divided up into five separate columns according to the quality of land. Tullaghboy had 2nd and 3rd rate quality lands.
- 3 acres of 2nd rate quality land with a tithe of 1s per acre.
- 4 acre of 3rd rate quality land with a tithe of 3d per acre.
The proportion of tithes payable to Richard Martin Esq. was 2s, the proportion of tithes payable to Reverend James Daly was 1s, and the proportion of tithes payable to Reverend John Wilson was 1s.
Griffith’s Valuation 1850s
In Griffith’s Valuation the area is 254 acres 1 rood and 1 perch with a land value of £6 10s and a building value of 10s with a total value of £7.
Occupiers of the Land:
The immediate lessors were The Directors of Law Life Assurance Co.
Ownership of Land and Property
James Lyons owned a house, office and land.
The total annual valuation of rateable property in Tullaghaboy came to £7.
Land Rates: James Lyons paid £6 10s.
Building Rates: James Lyons paid 10s.
Out Offices and Land
The out office was a farm building, a cow house, piggery or barn. The land was very poor and sterile and people were always poverty-stricken. At this time most tenants were trying to eke out a living on 5acres or less and farmers needed at least 15.3 acres to survive.
Poor Law Union Ireland
In Ireland the Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided into districts or “unions” in which the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony. Further subdivision into 828 registration districts and 3,751 district electoral divisions followed. Townlands were not arranged according to these divisions with parish and barony retained as a means to make comparisons with records gathered before 1898.
The 1838 Act
The main provisions of the 1838 Act were:
- The extension of the existing Poor Law Commissioners’ powers to Ireland, with the appointment of Assistant Commissioners who were to implement the Act in Ireland.
- The division of the country into Poor Law Unions based on Irish electoral divisions which were themselves made up from townlands.
- The creation of a Board of Guardians for each Union, two-thirds of whom were to be elected, the other third to be appointed ex officio.
- The setting up of a workhouse in each Union.
- The collection of a local poor-rate to finance the system.
- Assistance for emigration.
Initially, 130 Unions were created, based upon 2,049 electoral divisions. The divisions were composed of townlands, a peculiarly Irish unit, traditionally of 120 Irish acres in area. (Between 1848 and 1850, an additional 33 Unions were created by subdividing and reorganizing the boundaries of some existing Unions, particularly in the west of the country.
Boards of Guardians were elected annually on 25th March. Only rate-payers were eligible for election, which effectively disenfranchised most of the native Irish who were usually tenants at this time. Rate-payers were allowed between one and six votes depending on the size of a valuation of their property.
Census 1881/ 1891
The Table shows that there were 4 Registrar’s Districts and Electorial Divisions in the Oughterard Poor Law Union. The total area of the whole Union was 172,289 acres. The table gives the number of houses and the population for each district from 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, to 1891.The divisions of the Oughterard Union were Kilcummin, Letterfore, Oughterard and Wormhole. The total number of houses listed in 1841 were 4,465 and by 1881 there were 3,641 houses. The population in 1871 was 19,572 and by 1891 it was 18,975.
A town land is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion 1169. Tullaghaboy is a townland.
Population & Census Information.
People who lived here:
You can retrieve a list of people who lived in this townland from 1827 to 1911. This list is compiled from the following resources.
- The Tithe Applotment Books
- Griffith’s Valuation
- 1901 Census
- 1911 Census
1841 – 2 houses with 11 people living in Tullaghaboy
1851 – 1 house with 10 people,
1861 – 1 house with 6 people,
1871 – 2 house with 11 people,
1881- 3 houses (3 inhabited) with 23 people (9 males, 14 females). There were 9 outbuildings.
The valuation of Houses & Land in 1881 was £7 0s 0d.
1891 – 1 house (1 inhabited) with 5 people (3 males, 2 females). There were 8 outbuildings.
The valuation of Houses & Land in 1891 was £60 15s 0d.
This is a return of the members of the family, their Visitors, Boarders, Servants who slept or abode in their house on the night of Sunday March 31st 1901 in Tullaghaboy.
There was building listed in the townland Tullaghaboy. It was a private dwelling and was inhabited. 7 people were Church of Ireland and 1 person was Roman Catholic. 1 person was born in Co Longford, 1 person was born in Co Mayo and 6 people were born in Co Galway.
Farm Buildings and Out Offices
There were 10 out offices and farm steadings in the townland. They were 1 stable, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.
Description of the Houses
Class of House: The class of house depended on the materials used in the roof, walls, number of rooms and number of front windows. A 1st class house was considered the highest standard.
Walls of the houses: The walls were of stone, brick, and concrete or of mud, wood or other perishable material. The house in Tullaghaboy was built of stone, brick or concrete. There were no mud cabins.
Roofs: Roofs were of slate, iron, tiles, thatch, wood or other perishable material. The roof of the house in Tullaghaboy was of thatch, wood or perishable material. It was most likely thatched.
The house was listed as private dwellings and was occupied by 1 family. The person listed as the head of the family was not listed as the legal landholder. There was a total population of 8, with 3 male and 5 females residing in the townland.
House No. 1 (2 occupants)
Sophia Lyons aged 64 was the head of the family. She was a farmer and had 1 stable, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Sophia was born in Co Mayo. She was a widow and lived with her son Thomas H aged 33 and his wife Eleanor C aged 29. Thomas H was a farmer’s son and Eleanor C was a housekeeper. Eleanor was born in Co Longford. Also living in the house was her son Robert W aged 21 who was a farmers son and single, her grandson Albert A aged 5, her grand daughters Sophia F aged 6 and Florence K aged 1, and Mary Mc Donagh aged 20 who was a general Domestic Servant in the home. Everyone in the house was Church of Ireland except Mary McDonagh who was Roman Catholic. Sophi, Thomad H, Eleanor C and Robert W could read and write, Mary McDonagh could read and none of the children could read. Thomad H and Mary McDonagh spoke Irish and English. Thye lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 8 people occupied 6 available rooms. Thomas Lyons was the legal landholder.
This is a return of the Members of families in Tullaghaboy, their visitors, boarders and servants who slept or abode in the house on the night of Sunday the 2nd of April 1911.
Description of the Houses
The houses in Tullaghaboy were listed as private dwellings and were built of concrete or stone. Only one of the houses was inhabited. The roof of the inhabited house was of wood, thatch or other perishable materials. It was most likely thatched. The head of the family in House No 1 was listed as the landholder. One family lived in the house. The Class of the house depended on the material used in the roof, walls, number of rooms and number of front windows.
House & Building Return
The 2 buildings were listed as private dwellings. 5 people in the townland were Churth of Ireland and 1 person was Roman Catholic and the head of the family was the landholder. There were a total of 6 people living in the village, 4 males and 3 females. There were 3 outhouses, 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed.
House No. 1 (6 occupants)
Thomas Lyons aged 43 was the head of the family. He was a farmer and had 1 stable1 cow house and 1 shed. He lived with his wife Eleanor aged 39. Eleanor was born in Co Longford. They were married for 18 years and had 4 children born alive and 4 children still living. Also living in the house was his son Alber aged 15, his daughter Florence aged 11 and his son Thomas aged 8. The children were all scholars. Visiting the house on the night of teh census was John McDonagh aged 55. John was a carpenter and was married. Everyone in the house could read and write. Thomas and John McDonagh both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front window. 6 persons occupied 5 rooms.
Church records of births, deaths and marriages:
Church records of births, deaths and marriages are available online at http://www.rootsireland.ie To search these records, you will need to know the ‘church parish’ rather than the ‘civil parish’. (The civil parish is the pre-reformation parish and was frequently used as a unit of administration in the past.)
Tullaghabwee is in the civil parish of Kilcummin.
Roman Catholic parishes:
This civil parish corresponds with the following Roman Catholic parish or parishes.
Church of Ireland parishes:
This civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish.
In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same, but, this is not always the case.
It is located at 53° 27′ 10″ N, 9° 27′ 55″ W.
Original OS map of this area. Ireland was first mapped in the 1840s. These original maps are available online.
Original OS maps at the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website.
Below is a link to the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website. It displays the original OS map that was created in the 1840s.
Information from Google Maps. You can use this link to find this townland on Google Maps.
Information from the National Monuments Service.
You can use this link to view a map of archaeological features. This link brings you to a website wherein you will have to search for your townland.
Galway Library Website
More Information in relation to The Ballynahinch Estate.
It was not until 1872 that Richard Berridge, a wealthy London brewer, became the new owner of the Ballynahinch Estate having paid the sum of £230,000.
In 1924, His Highness, Maharajah Jam Saheb of Nawanagar, India, rented Ballynahinch Castle and the fishing rights of the catchment from Richard Berridge. He quickly fell in love with the place and, in December 1926, an agreement was drawn up whereby he would purchase the Castle and its grounds including all lakes and streams in the Ballynahinch watershed for the sum of £35,000.
The Ranji, as he was known, became the new owner on 1st February 1926 and spent a further £24,032 on improvements to the castle and to the estate buildings as well as planting nearly thirty thousand additional trees.
When the Ranji died in April 1932 the estate passed to his nephew who sold the castle and surrounding grounds to the Mc Cormack Family from Dublin. The fishery rights on the upper section of the catchment being sold off in six separate lots. Lot No 6, including part of the Recess and Owentooey Rivers as well as Loughs Oorid, Shanakeela, Derryneen and Cappahoosh at the Recess end of the system, was purchased by Thomas Henry Lyons of Tullaboy who had been leasing them for many years beforehand.
Next to own Balynahinch Castle and develop it into a hotel in 1946, was the Irish Tourist Board, and they in turn passed it to hotelier Noel Huggard who ran it in conjunction with Ashford Castle in Cong. Huggard disposed of a large part of the estate including the fisheries of Inagh and Derryclare. In 1957 the castle and associated fishery, now mainly the Owenmore river and Ballynahinch Lake, was sold to American businessman Edward Ball who in turn sold shares to many friends and business associates.
In 1978 responsibility the hotel, fishery and remainder of the estate passed to Raymond and Minerva Mason who carried our many improvements and alterations before it was again sold to Irish businessman, Denis O’Brien in 2014.
The Ranji was very popular locally and when news of his death in India reached Ballynahinch people were reluctant to believe it as the date was April 1st 1932