Glenicmurrin (Gleann Mhac Muirinn)

Antoinette Lydon

My location
Get Directions

Glenicmurrin (Gleann Mhac Muirinn) is in the civil parish of Kilcummin. The civil Parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish of Kilcummin, Galway West. In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same as is the case in the Kilcummin Oughterard area.

Gleann Mhac Muirinn is in the Electoral Division of Sailearna (Selerna) , in Civil Parish of Kilcummin, in the Barony of Moycullen, in the County of Galway

Irish Form of Name:

Gleann Muirinn

Translation:

Mac Morrin’s Glen or Valley

Civil Parish:

Kilcummin
View all place names in this civil parish.

Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:

Glenicmurrin
Gleann Muirinn
Glean ic Muirin
Recte. Glen Mac Murrin
Glannicmurrin Barony Cess Book
Glanmoreamurran Barony Map
Glannamurrin Boundary Surveyor
Glanmoremurrin County Map
Gleamm Morreyne Inquis. Temp. Jac.
Glanmcmurren Inquis. Temp. Jac.
Glannamurrin Local
Glanumirr Rector of Kilcummin

Glenicmurrin contains 2,483 acres about 100 acres are under tillage including 319 ½ of water, the remainder is wet boggy mountain. Lough Glannamurrin with its islands several of which belong to the townland forms the western boundary.

Situation: In the Southern extremity of the parish.

List of townlands that share a border with this townland:

Some other placenames in or near this townland are…

Information from the Landed Estates Database

The following is a list of those houses in this townland which are discussed in the Landed Estates Database.

  • Fermoyle Lodge

Landlord

The landlord was Thomas B. Martin, Esq., Ballinahinch. Thomas B. Martin was a member of the Martin of Ross Family as stated in the Landed Estates Database.

  • Martin (Ross) – The Martin family were established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O’Flaherty’s. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O’Hara, daughter of Robert O’Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke’s” Landed Gentry”, a grandniece of James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well-known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates’ Court in May 1885.

Martin (Ballynahinch) – A branch of the Anglo Norman family of Martin, one of the Tribes of Galway, was granted the O’Flaherty lands in the Connemara region in the mid-17th century. This family were a junior branch of the Martins of Ross and under the Acts of Settlement were granted vast estates in counties Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Clare and Sligo. By a patent dated 1698 they were confirmed in the possession of their Connemara estate known as the Manor of Claremount by King William. The Westport Estate Papers document the sale of over 27,000 acres in the baronies of Moycullen and Ballynahinch by the trustees for the sale of Colonel John Browne’s estate to John Edwards for Richard Martin in 1699. The early generations of Martins lived at Birch Hall and Dangan, in the townland of Oranhill, parish of Rahoon, near Galway city. Richard Martin, better known as ‘Humanity Dick’, was the first member of the family to be reared as a Protestant. He was a famous duellist and founded the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ballynahinch Castle was built in the centre of his estate. His son Thomas Martin died in 1847 during the Famine and Thomas’s only daughter and heir, Mary Laetitia, inherited a heavily encumbered estate. She married her cousin, Arthur Gonne Bell, and died in New York in 1850. The Martin estates were offered for sale in two sections in 1849. Their property close to Galway town included Dangan, Corcullen, Bushypark and Killeen. Their Connemara estate was acquired by the Law Life Assurance Society in 1852, to whom it was heavily mortgaged. In 1853 the estate of almost 200,000 acres was surveyed by Thomas Colville Scott for a prospective buyer. Richard Martin, second son of Richard ‘Humanity Dick’ Martin of Ballynahinch, is recorded as holding five townlands in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation although he emigrated to Canada in 1833. He was also recorded as the occupier of Clareville, a Martin home in the village of Oughterard. Many of his descendants still reside in Canada. http://www.martinhistory.net/

Information from the Down Survey Website

The Down Survey is a mapped survey. Using the Civil Survey as a guide, teams of surveyors, mainly former soldiers, were sent out under Petty’s direction to measure every townland to be forfeited to soldiers and adventurers. The resulting maps, made at a scale of 40 perches to one inch (the modern equivalent of 1: 50,000), were the first systematic mapping of a large area on such a scale attempted anywhere. The primary purpose of these maps was to record the boundaries of each townland and to calculate their areas with great precision. The maps are also rich in other detail showing churches, roads, rivers, castles, houses and fortifications. Most towns are represented pictorially and the cartouches, the decorative titles, of each map in many cases reflect a specific characteristic of each barony. (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie)

Townland of GLENICMURRIN

Down Survey Name: Mountain
1670 Owner(s): Martin, Richard (Catholic); Clanrickard, Earl of (Protestant)
County: Galway
Barony: Muckullin
Parish: Killcumyn

The down survey website will tell you who owned this townland in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and in 1671 (post Cromwell).

Down Survey Website

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/landowners.php#mc=53.32395,-9.46523&z=14

The Tithe Applotment Books

About the Records

Tithes were a tax on agricultural produce which was payable by the occupiers of agricultural land. They were the main source of income for the parish clergy of the Church of Ireland (the largest Protestant church and the church established by law). However, in many parishes a large part of the tithes was ‘appropriate’, which meant that they were payable to a bishop, cathedral chapter or another ecclesiastical recipient, or were ‘impropriate’, which generally meant that they were payable to a local landowner. The parishes used in the Tithe Applotment Books are civil or Church of Ireland parishes, which often differ in name and territory from Catholic parishes, Acts of Parliament of 1823 and 1832 provided for the conversion of tithes into a fixed charge on land, and specified the average price of wheat or oats in the parish in the seven years before 1821 as the basis on which the tithes would be calculated. They also extended the application of tithes to pasture, where previously they had been levied only on tillage.

This change in the law resulted in the valuation of individual holdings in almost all parishes containing agricultural land, in order to assess the portion of the tithes for which each occupier of land would be liable. The apportionment was recorded for each Church of Ireland parish in a Tithe Composition Applotment Book. The information was collected and the amounts were calculated by two Parochial Commissioners, one of whom was appointed by the cess-payers of the parish and the other by the relevant Diocese of the Church of Ireland. This procedure was carried out in over 2,500 parishes between the years 1823 and 1837.

The Tithe Applotment Books are in a variety of formats, from a few pages sewn together to elaborately bound volumes. In most cases they are written in manuscript throughout, although some consist of manuscript entries on printed questionnaires. The information in the books is broadly uniform and generally includes at least the name of occupier; the size of holding, the valuation and the tithe payable. In some cases, more detailed information is provided. Some volumes have maps and most have certificates and correspondence attached.

The sub-divisions of the parish were recorded. Some of these subdivisions, such as plough lands, ceased to be in official use after the six-inch survey of the Ordnance Survey was completed in the 1840s. Only productive land was subject to tithe, and the books usually distinguish between this tithable land and untithable land such as roads or mountains. Tithable land was in some cases classified by quality, and a money value was given to each class. In some cases, the proportion of tithe payable to the rector, vicar or lay proprietor of the tithes was set out. The column for observations was sometimes completed, with information about commonage, for example.

There are a number of other points that should be noted. The acreages given in the Tithe Applotment Books are in Irish or Plantation measure, which is 1.62 times larger than statute measure. Only occupiers of land at the time of the tithe composition are recorded, so not all heads of households living in a parish at the time are included. Only rural areas are systematically covered, although inhabitants of towns who held plots of cultivable land are included. The equivalent tax in urban areas, Minister’s Money, has left few records.

The Tithe Applotment Books are an important source of information for a wide variety of researchers of pre-Famine Ireland. They provide the first surviving national list of the occupiers of land, and are used by genealogists as a partial substitute for returns of the 1821 and 1831 censuses of population, which were destroyed in 1922. They also record information on the quality of land, and provide information on pre-Ordnance Survey territorial divisions, some of which were not recognized after the 1840s.

The National Archives hold the original Tithe Applotment Books only for the twenty-six counties of the Republic of Ireland. The books for the six counties of Northern Ireland are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast. (http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp)

Michl Joyce, Edmund Joyce, Martin Joyce, Martin Naughton & Patt Naughton had 8 acres of land; 4 acres of 2nd quality land with a fee of 1s per acre, 4 acres of 3rd quality with a fee of 6d per acre.

The Tithes were payable to Richard Martin Esq. Reverend James Daly & Reverend John Wilson.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587459/004587459_00440.pdf

Griffith Valuation 1855

In Griffith’s Valuation the area in Glenicmurrin was a total of 2482 acres, 3 rood & 26 perch.  2163 acres 1 rood & 37 perch of land, houses & offices with a value of £20-0s-0d (Land) & £1-5s-0d (Buildings). 319 acres 1 rood & 29 perch of Water. Total rateable valuation value was £21-5s-0d.

Occupier: Michael Walsh, Barth Naughton, Matthias Costello & Marcus Naughton.

Immediate Lessor: Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=524888

View the heads of households in the townland at this time.

Poor Law Union Ireland

In Ireland the Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided into districts or “unions” in which the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony. Further subdivision into 828 registration districts and 3,751 district electoral divisions followed. Townlands were not arranged according to these divisions with parish and barony retained as a means to make comparisons with records gathered before 1898.

The 1838 Act

The main provisions of the 1838 Act were:

  • The extension of the existing Poor Law Commissioners’ powers to Ireland, with the appointment of Assistant Commissioners who were to implement the Act in Ireland.
  • The division of the country into Poor Law Unions based on Irish electoral divisions which were made up from townlands.
  • The creation of a Board of Guardians for each Union, two-thirds of whom were to be elected, the other third to be appointed ex officio.
  • The setting up of a workhouse in each Union.
  • The collection of a local poor-rate to finance the system.
  • Assistance for emigration.

Initially, 130 Unions were created, based upon 2,049 electoral divisions. The divisions were composed of townlands, a peculiarly Irish unit, traditionally of 120 Irish acres in area. (Between 1848 and 1850, subdividing and reorganizing the boundaries of some existing Unions, particularly in the west of the country created an additional 33 Unions.

Boards of Guardians were elected annually on 25th March. Only ratepayers were eligible for election, which effectively disenfranchised most of the native Irish who were usually tenants at this time. Ratepayers were allowed between one and six votes depending on the size of a valuation of their property.

What is a townland?

A townland is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion of 1169. Glenicmurrin is a townland.

Population & Census Information

People who lived here:

You can retrieve a list of people who lived in this townland from 1827 to 1911. This list is compiled from the following resources.

  • The Tithe Applotment Books
  • Griffith’s Valuation
  • 1901 Census
  • 1911 Census

List of nineteenth century and early twentieth century inhabitants of this townland.

1841-1891 Census

1841 – 14 houses with 61 people

1851 – 7 houses with 40 people

1861 – 6 houses with 34 people

1871 – 5 houses with 37 people

1881 – 8 houses (8 inhabited) with 43 people (24 males, 19 females). There were 8 outbuildings.

The valuation of Houses & Land in 1881 was £66 5s 0d.

1891 – 5 houses (5 inhabited) with 36 people (18 males, 18 females). There were 11 outbuildings.

The valuation of Houses & Land in 1891 was £46 5s 0d.

1901 Census

This is a return of the members of the family, visitors, boarders or servants who slept or abode in their house on the night of Sunday March 31st 1901 in Gleniemurrin.

There were 17 houses listed in the Townland of Gleniemurrin. The people were all Roman Catholics and they were born in Co. Galway. 48 people lived in Gleniemurrin (26 males and 22 females) in the townland.

Enumerators Extract

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000813652/

House & Building Returns

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000813653/

Out Offices & Farm Steadings

Not attached to website

House 1

Pat Costello aged 35 was head of the family; married to Barbara aged 32. They lived with their children Henry aged 14, Coleman aged 12, Bridget aged 13 Anne aged 11, Sarah aged 10, Mary aged 8, Pat aged 7, Matthew aged 3, Kate aged 1 & his widowed mother Anne aged 75.

Pat was a farmer; Henry was a farmer’s son & Bridget, Anne, Sarah, Mary & Pat were scholars. Pat, Barbara & Anne could not read; Henry & Coleman could read; Bridget, Anne, Sarah, Mary & Pat could read & write. They spoke Irish & English. Matthew could not read; he spoke only Irish. Kate could not read.

They lived in a 3rd class with 2 rooms and no front window. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378083/

House 2

Mark Naughton aged 50 was head of the family; married to Mary aged 40. They lived with their sons Coleman aged 17 & Thomas aged 15. Mark, Coleman & Thomas spoke Irish & English; Mary spoke only Irish. The entire family could not read.

They lived in a 3rd class with 2 rooms and no front window. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378084/

House 3

Thomas Naughton aged 53 was head of the family; married to Anne aged 42 they lived their children Thomas aged 18, Martin aged 11, Mark aged 10, Ellen aged 9, Michael aged 7, Anne aged 5, Owen aged 2 & his widowed mother in law Ellen Naughton aged 70.

Thomas was a farmer; son Thomas was a farmer’s son; Martin, Mark, Ellen, Michael & Anne were scholars. Thomas (father) & Thomas (son) could not read; they spoke Irish & English. Anne (mother), Ellen (grandmother) & Owen could not read; they spoke only Irish. Martin, Mark, Ellen (daughter) & Michael could read & write and spoke Irish & English. Anne (daughter) could read and spoke Irish & English.

They lived in a 4th class house with 1 room and no front window.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378085/

House 4

Pat Walsh aged 40 was head of the family; married to Anne aged 30. They lived with their children Peter aged 6, Coleman aged 3, Mary aged 5 months, Coleman Naughton aged 20 & Norah McDonagh aged 14.

Pat was a farmer; Peter & Coleman (son) were farmer’s sons; Coleman Naughton was a farm servant & Norah was a general domestic servant. Pat & Norah could read & write and spoke Irish & English. Anne Peter, Coleman (son) & Coleman Naughton could not read; they Irish & English. Mary could not read.

They lived in a 1st class house with 4 rooms and 6 front windows.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378086/

House 5

Mary Walsh aged 62 was head of the family; a widow. She lived with her sons William aged 23, Martin aged 20 & niece Mary aged 11.

Mary was a farmer; William & Martin were farmer’s sons & Mary (niece) was a scholar. Mary (mother) & William could read. Martin & Mary (niece) could read & write. The entire family spoke Irish & English.

They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378087/

House 6

John Cummins aged 37 was head of the family; married to Honor aged 30. They lived with their children Mary aged 9, Patrick aged 7, John aged 5, James aged 3 & William aged 4 months.

John was a game keeper; he could read & write. Mary & Patrick were scholars; they could read & write and spoke Irish & English.

Patrick could read; John, James & William could not read.

They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378088/

House 7

Cummin Naughton aged 40 was head of the family; married to Bridget aged 21. They lived with his nieces Mary Naughton aged 13 & Bridget Connor aged 9.

Cummin was a farmer; he could read. Mary Naughton & Bridget Connor were scholars. Bridget, Mary & Bridget could read and write and spoke Irish & English.

They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Selerna/Gleniemurrin/1378089/

House 8 Fishing lodge – not inhabited. Richard Berridge was the legal landholder.

House 9 Gleniemurrin National School. Cummin Naughton was the legal landholder.

1911 Census

This is a return of the Members of the families in Glenicmurrin, their visitors, boarders and servants who slept or abode in the house on the night of Sunday 2nd April 1911.

There were 9 houses listed in the Townland of Glenicmurrin. 7 houses were occupied; the other 2 were a National School & a Shooting Lodge. All 53 (29 males/24 females) living in Glenicmurrin were Roman Catholics & born in Co. Galway. There were a total of 22 farm buildings and out offices; which included stables, cow houses, barns, sheds & piggeries.

Enumerator Extract

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002450558/

House & Building Returns

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002450560/

Out Office & Farm Steadings

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002450562/

House 1

Cummin Naughton aged 45 was head of the family; married to Bridget aged 30. They lived with their children Delia aged 9, Bartly aged 7, Tom aged 3 & Barbara aged 1.

Cummin was a farmer; Delia was a scholar. Cummin could read; he spoke Irish & English. Bridget & Delia could read and write and spoke Irish & English. Bartly, Tom & Barbara could not read and spoke only Irish.

Cummin & Bridget were married for 12 years; they had 6 children with 4 living at the time of the census.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They had a stable & a piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510083/

House 2

Mark Naughton aged 67 was head of the family; married to Mary aged 67. They lived with their son Thomas aged 23.

Mark was a farmer & Thomas was a farmer’s son. Mark could read; Mary could not read & Thomas could read & write. The entire family spoke Irish & English.

Mark & Mary were married for 35 years; they had 2 children.

They lived in a 3rd class with 2 rooms and 1 front window. They had a stable, cow house & piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510084/

House 3

Thomas Naughton aged 71 was head of the family; married to Annie aged 56. They lived their children Thomas aged 30, Ellen aged 22, Mark aged 20, Michael aged 18, Annie aged 16, Owen aged 13 & grandchild Agnes aged 6.

Thomas was a farmer; son Thomas, Mark & Michael were farmer’s sons; Ellen was a farmer’s daughter; Annie, Owen & Agnes were scholars. Thomas (father) & Agnes could not read; they spoke Irish & English. Annie (mother) could not read; she spoke only Irish. Thomas (son) could read; he spoke only Irish. Ellen, Mark, Michael & Annie (daughter) could read & write and spoke Irish & English.

Thomas & Annie were married for 37 years; they had 10 children.

They lived in a 3rd class with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. They had a stable & a piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510085/

House 4

Patrick Walsh aged 55 was head of the family; married to Anne aged 43. They lived with their children Peter aged 17, Coleman aged 12, Mary aged 10, Michael aged 8, Patrick aged 6, Anne aged 4 & Michael Ridge aged 45, single.

Patrick was a farmer; Peter was a farmer’s son; Coleman & Mary were scholars & Michael Ridge was a farm servant. Patrick (father), Peter, Coleman, Mary & Anne (daughter) could read & write and spoke Irish & English. Anne (mother), Michael (son) & Patrick (son) could not read; they spoke Irish & English. Michael Ridge could not read; he spoke only Irish.

Patrick & Anne were married for 13 years; they had 6 children with 6 living at the time of the census.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 5 front windows. They had a stable, cow house, piggery & shed. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510086/

House 5

William Walsh aged 32 was head of the family; married to Maggie aged 28. They lived with their children Mary aged 3, Margaret aged 8 months; servants James Keady aged 17 & Bridget Connolly aged 8.

William was a farmer; James & Bridget were servants. William could not read; Maggie could read & write; they spoke Irish & English. Mary, Margaret, James & Bridget could not read

William & Maggie were married for 4 years; they had 2 children with 2 living at the time of the census.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They had a stable, cow house, piggery, barn & shed. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510087/

House 6

Patrick Costello aged 48 was head of the family; married to Barbara aged 42. They lived with their children Henry aged 24, Coleman aged 21, Annie aged 20, Mary aged 18, Sarah aged 16, Patrick aged 14, Matt aged 12, Kate aged 10, Michael aged 9, Barbara aged 7, Myles aged 5, Johnny aged 3 & Norah aged 1.

Patrick was a farmer; Henry & Coleman were farmer’s sons; & Anne, Mary & Sarah were farmer’s daughters; Patrick (son), Matt, Kate, Michael, Barbara, Myles & Johnny were scholars. Patrick (father) could read; he spoke Irish & English. Barbara (mother), Myles & Johnny could not read; they spoke only Irish. Henry, Coleman, Annie, Mary, Sarah, Patrick (son), Matt, Kate & Michael could read & write and spoke Irish & English. Barbara (daughter) could read and spoke only Irish. Norah could not read.

Patrick & Barbara were married for 25 years; they had 15 children with 14 living at the time of the census.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They had a stable, cow house, piggery, barn & shed. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510088/

House 7

Patrick Spelman aged 52 was head of the family; married to Ellen aged 46. They lived with their children John aged 18, Bridie aged 15 & Tom aged 6.

Patrick was a gamekeeper. Bridie & Tom were scholars. Patrick could read & write and spoke English. Ellen, John & Bridie could read & write and spoke Irish & English. Tom could not read; he spoke English.

Patrick & Ellen were married for 19 years; they had 7 children with 4 living at the time of the census.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They had a piggery. This was a private dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Selerna/Glenicmurrin/510089/

House 8 – Gleniemurrin National School. Cummin Naughton was the legal landholder.

House 9 Shooting Lodge – not inhabited. Richard Berridge was the legal landholder.

Church records of births, deaths and marriages:

Church records of births, deaths and marriages are available online at http://www.rootsireland.ie. To search these records, you will need to know the ‘church parish’ rather than the ‘civil parish’. (The civil parish is the pre-reformation parish and was frequently used as a unit of administration in the past.)

Glenicmurrin is in the civil parish of Kilcummin.

Roman Catholic parishes:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Roman Catholic parish or parishes.

  • Carraroe
  • Kilannin
  • Kilcummin/Oughterard
  • Rosmuc

Church of Ireland parishes:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish.

  • Kilcummin

In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same, but, this is not always the case.

Maps

It is located at 53° 19′ 21″ N, 9° 28′ 22″ W. 

Original OS map of this area.

Ireland was first mapped in the 1840s. These original maps are available online.

Glenicmurrin

Original OS maps at the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website

Below is a link to the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website. It displays the original OS map that was created in the 1840s.

Glenicmurrin
Information from Google Maps.

Google Maps
Information from the National Monuments Service.

Archaeological map from the National Monuments Service

Townlands.ie Website

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/moycullen/kilcummin/sailearna/gleann-mhac-muirinn/

Galway Library Website

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/place/52380

This page was added on 13/09/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *