Coosaun

Antoinette Lydon

My location
Get Directions

Coosaun is in the civil parish of Kilcummin. The civil Parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish of Kilcummin, Galway West. In general the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same as is the case in the Kilcummin Oughterard area.

The Irish Form of Name: Cuasán

Translation: a cove

Other Forms of the Name

Coosaun
Cuasán
Coosaun Boundary Surveyor
Cussane Barony Cess Book
Coosaun County Map
Cuasaan Local
Coosane Rector of Kilcummin
Cousane R. Martin, Esq., Proprietor
Coosaun Barony Map

COUNTY Gaillimh/Galway

BARONY Maigh Cuilinn/Moycullen

CIVIL PARISH Cill Chuimín/Kilcummin

Coosaun is in the Electoral Division of Letterfore, in Civil Parish of Kilcummin, in the Barony of Moycullen, in the County of Galway

Area:

The land is very stony and wet. It contains 71¾ acres all arable with the exception of 40 acres bog and boggy pasture.

Boundaries:

Coosaun borders the following other townlands:

Landlord:

Thomas B. Martin, Esq., Ballinahinch, Proprietor.

Thomas B. Martin is a member of the Martin (Ross) family.

Martin (Ross) – The Martin family were established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O’Flahertys. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O’Hara, daughter of Robert O’Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke’s ”Landed Gentry”, a grandniece of James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates’ Court in May 1885.

Martin (Ballynahinch) – A branch of the Anglo Norman family of Martin, one of the Tribes of Galway, was granted the O’Flaherty lands in the Connemara region in the mid 17th century. This family were a junior branch of the Martins of Ross and under the Acts of Settlement were granted vast estates in counties Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Clare and Sligo. By a patent dated 1698 they were confirmed in the possession of their Connemara estate known as the Manor of Claremount by King William. The Westport Estate Papers document the sale of over 27,000 acres in the baronies of Moycullen and Ballynahinch by the trustees for the sale of Colonel John Browne’s estate to John Edwards for Richard Martin in 1699. The early generations of Martins lived at Birch Hall and Dangan, in the townland of Oranhill, parish of Rahoon, near Galway city. Richard Martin, better known as ‘Humanity Dick’, was the first member of the family to be reared as a Protestant. He was a famous duellist and founded the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ballynahinch Castle was built in the centre of his estate. His son Thomas Martin died in 1847 during the Famine and Thomas’s only daughter and heir, Mary Laetita, inherited a heavily encumbered estate. She married her cousin, Arthur Gonne Bell, and died in New York in 1850. The Martin estates were offered for sale in two sections in 1849. Their property close to Galway town included Dangan, Corcullen, Bushypark and Killeen. Their Connemara estate was acquired by the Law Life Assurance Society in 1852, to whom it was heavily mortgaged. In 1853 the estate of almost 200,000 acres was surveyed by Thomas Colville Scott for a prospective buyer. Richard Martin, second son of Richard ‘Humanity Dick’ Martin of Ballynahinch, is recorded as holding five townlands in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation although he emigrated to Canada in 1833. He was also recorded as the occupier of Clareville, a Martin home in the village of Oughterard. Many of his descendants still reside in Canada. http://www.martinhistory.net/

Downs Survey

Townland of COOSAUN

Down Survey Name: Corre
1641 Owner(s): Lynch, Thomas (Catholic)
1670 Owner(s): Kelly, Donnogh (Catholic)
County: Galway
Barony: Muckullin
Parish: Killcumyn
Profitable land: 49 plantation acres
Forfeited: 49 plantation acres

Information from the Down Survey Website:

The Down Survey website will tell you who owned this townland in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and in 1671 (post Cromwell).

Down Survey website

The Tithe Applotment Books

About the Records

Tithes were a tax on agricultural produce which was payable by the occupiers of agricultural land. They were the main source of income for the parish clergy of the Church of Ireland (the largest Protestant church and the church established by law). However, in many parishes a large part of the tithes were ‘appropriate’, which meant that they were payable to a bishop, cathedral chapter or other ecclesiastical recipient, or were ‘impropriate’, which generally meant that they were payable to a local landowner. The parishes used in the Tithe Applotment Books are civil or Church of Ireland parishes, which often differ in name and territory from Catholic parishes, Acts of Parliament of 1823 and 1832 provided for the conversion of tithes into a fixed charge on land, and specified the average price of wheat or oats in the parish in the seven years before 1821 as the basis on which the tithes would be calculated. They also extended the application of tithes to pasture, where previously they had been levied only on tillage.

This change in the law resulted in the valuation of individual holdings in almost all parishes containing agricultural land, in order to assess the portion of the tithes for which each occupier of land would be liable. The apportionment was recorded for each Church of Ireland parish in a Tithe Composition Applotment Book. The information was collected and the amounts were calculated by two Parochial Commissioners, one of whom was appointed by the cess-payers of the parish and the other by the relevant Diocese of the Church of Ireland. This procedure was carried out in over 2,500 parishes between the years 1823 and 1837.

The Tithe Applotment Books are in a variety of formats, from a few pages sewn together to elaborately bound volumes. In most cases they are written in manuscript throughout, although some consist of manuscript entries on printed questionnaires. The information in the books is broadly uniform and generally includes at least the name of occupier; the size of holding, the valuation and the tithe payable. In some cases more detailed information is provided. Some volumes have maps and most have certificates and correspondence attached.

The sub-divisions of the parish were recorded. Some of these subdivisions, such as ploughlands, ceased to be in official use after the six inch survey of the Ordnance Survey was completed in the 1840s. Only productive land was subject to tithe, and the books usually distinguish between this tithable land and untithable land such as roads or mountains. Tithable land was in some cases classified by quality, and a money value was given to each class. In some cases the proportion of tithe payable to the rector, vicar or lay proprietor of the tithes was set out. The column for observations was sometimes completed, with information about commonage, for example.

There are a number of other points that should be noted. The acreages given in the Tithe Applotment Books are in Irish or Plantation measure, which is 1.62 times larger than statute measure. Only occupiers of land at the time of the tithe composition are recorded, so not all heads of households living in a parish at the time are included. Only rural areas are systematically covered, although inhabitants of towns who held plots of cultivable land are included. The equivalent tax in urban areas, Minister’s Money, has left few records.

The Tithe Applotment Books are an important source of information for a wide variety of researchers of pre-Famine Ireland. They provide the first surviving national list of the occupiers of land, and are used by genealogists as a partial substitute for returns of the 1821 and 1831 censuses of population, which were destroyed in 1922. They also record information on the quality of land, and provide information on pre-Ordnance Survey territorial divisions, some of which were not recognised after the 1840s.

The National Archives hold the original Tithe Applotment Books only for the twenty-six counties of the Republic of Ireland. The books for the six counties of Northern Ireland are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast.

(http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp)

Tithe Applotment 1829

Mich O’Sullivan had a total of 44 acres of land, 10 acres of 2nd quality land with a payment of 1s, 6 acres of 3rd quality land with a payment of 3d & 26 acres of 4th  quality land with a payment of ½d .

The Tithes payments went to Richard Martin Esq. James Daly & John Wilson.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?county=Galway&parish=Kilcummin&townland=Coosaun&search=Search&sort=last_name_sort

Griffiths Valuation 1850’s

In Griffith’s Valuation the area was 71 acres 3 rood 5 perches with a land value of £10 0s 0d. Value of Buildings was £0 10s 0d, and the total value is £10 10s 0d.

Occupier of the Land

Michael O’Brien was the occupier of the land. William D Griffith was the Immediate Lessor.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=558957

Poor Law Union Ireland

In Ireland the Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided into districts or “unions” in which the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony. Further subdivision into 828 registration districts and 3,751 district electoral divisions followed. Townlands were not arranged according to these divisions with parish and barony retained as a means to make comparisons with records gathered before 1898.

The 1838 Act

The main provisions of the 1838 Act were:

  • The extension of the existing Poor Law Commissioners’ powers to Ireland, with the appointment of Assistant Commissioners who were to implement the Act in Ireland.
  • The division of the country into Poor Law Unions based on Irish electoral divisions which were themselves made up from townlands.
  • The creation of a Board of Guardians for each Union, two-thirds of whom were to be elected, the other third to be appointed ex officio.
  • The setting up of a workhouse in each Union.
  • The collection of a local poor-rate to finance the system.
  • Assistance for emigration.

Initially, 130 Unions were created, based upon 2,049 electoral divisions. The divisions were composed of townlands, a peculiarly Irish unit, traditionally of 120 Irish acres in area. (Between 1848 and 1850, an additional 33 Unions were created by subdividing and reorganizing the boundaries of some existing Unions, particularly in the west of the country.

Boards of Guardians were elected annually on 25th March. Only rate-payers were eligible for election, which effectively disenfranchised most of the native Irish who were usually tenants at this time. Rate-payers were allowed between one and six votes depending on the size of a valuation of their property.

Townlands

A town land is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion 1169. Coosaun is a townland.

Census & Population Information

You can retrieve a list of people who lived in this townland from 1827 to 1911. This list is compiled from the following resources.

  • The Tithe Applotment Books
  • Griffith’s Valuation
  • 1901 Census
  • 1911 Census

List of nineteenth century and early twentieth century inhabitants.

 

Census 1841-1891

1841: 3 houses with 4 people living in Coosaun.

1851: 2 houses with 10 people,

1861: 1 house with 8 people,

1871: 1 house with 7 people

1881: 1 house with 5 people (2 males, 3 females). There were 2 out buildings.  The valuation of Houses & Land in 1881 was £11.

1891: 1 house with 3 people (1 male, 2 females). There were 3 out buildings.  The valuation of Houses & Land in 1891 was £11.

1901 Census Coosaun

This is a return of the members of the family, their Visitors, Boarders, and Servants who slept or abode in their house on the night of Sunday March 31st 1901 in Coosaun

There was 1 house listed in the Townland of Coosaun. Both people living in Coosaun were Roman Catholics & were born in Co. Galway.

Enumerators Extract:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840303/

House & Building Return:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840304/

Out Offices & Farm Steading:

There were a total of 3 farm buildings and out offices which included cow houses and a piggery.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000840305/

Class of House: The class of house depended on the materials used in the roof, walls, number of rooms and number of front windows. A 1st class house was considered the highest standard.

Walls of the houses: The walls were of stone, brick, and concrete or of mud, wood or other perishable material. The houses in Coosaun were built of stone, brick or concrete. There were no mud cabins.

House Occupancy: 1 house was occupied on the night of the Census.

House 1

Charles O’Brien aged 37 was head of the family; he lived with his sister Sarah Lee aged 46.

Charles was a farmer, not married. Sarah was a general servant, she was married. Both could read & write & spoke English.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They also had 2 Cow houses, 2 Calf houses and 1 Piggery. This premise was a Private Dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Letterfore/Coosaun/1394454/

1911 Census Coosaun

This is a return of the Members of the families in Coosaun, their visitors, boarders and servants who slept or abode in the house on the night of Sunday 2nd April 1911.

There was 1 house listed in the Townland of Coosaun.  The (1 Male, 2 Females) people living in Coosaun were Roman Catholics.

People that lived in Coosaun were born included Co. Galway.

Enumerators Extract:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002434777/

House & Building Return:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002434780/

Out Offices & Farm Steading:

There were a total of 3 farm buildings and out offices which included cow houses and a piggery.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002434782/

House 1

Sarah Lee aged 60 was head of the family; she lived with her sister Margaret aged 53 & Brother Charles aged 50.

Sarah was a farmer, she was married for 35 years, she had one child and that child was still living at the time of the census. Charles was a farmer’s brother. Margaret & Charles were not married. All three could read & write.

They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. They also had 2 Cow houses, 2 Calf houses and 1 Piggery. This premise was a Private Dwelling.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Letterfore/Coosaun/912149/

Church records of births, deaths and marriages:

Church records of births, deaths and marriages are available online at http://www.rootsireland.ie. To search these records you will need to know the ‘church parish’ rather than the ‘civil parish’. (The civil parish is the pre-reformation parish and was frequently used as a unit of administration in the past.)

Coosaun is in the civil parish of Kilcummin.

Catholic parish:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Roman Catholic parish or parishes.

  • Clonbern & Kilkerrin in Galway East.
  • Carraroe in Galway West.
  • Kilannin in Galway West.
  • Kilcummin/Oughterard in Galway West.
  • Rosmuc in Galway West.

Church of Ireland parish:

This civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish.

  • Kilcummin in Galway West.

In general, the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same, but, this is not always the case.

Maps

It is located at 53° 28′ 45″ N, 9° 24′ 31″ W.

Ireland was first mapped in the 1840s. These original maps are available online.

Coosaun

Original OS maps at the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website

Below is a link to the Ordnance Survey of Ireland website. It displays the original OS map that was created in the 1840s.

Coosaun

Information from Google Maps:

Google Maps
Information from the National Monuments Service:

You can use this link to view a map of archaeological features. This link brings you to a website wherein you will have to search for your townland.

Archaeological map from the National Monuments Service
http://www.townlands.ie/galway/moycullen/kilcummin/letterfore-ed/coosaun/

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3448636

Taken from a local publication A Valley Remembers GLANN first published in 2009.

COOSAN

An Cusasan, The small cove/hollow

Area 71 acres

This small townland on the lakeshore lies west of Gortnashingaun. The land here is mainly dry with some rock outcrop.

Not sure who lord was in 1641.(Possibly the Earl of Clonrichard or Bryan O’Ffahertie.) At the time of the Griffith valuation in the 1830s the Proprietor was Thos. B. Martin Esq. of Ballinahinch. The land was described as very bad, stony and wet, containing 71¾ acres all arable except 40 acres of boggy pasture.

The lessor was Wm. D. Griffith leasing to a Michael O Brien, with rent at £10 for the land and 10 shillings for the house. A lot of money in the 1850s.

According to the 1911 census there were three members of the family there Charles, Margaret and Sarah whom was Sarah Lee. Charles married Mary Halloran daughter of Martin from Derroura and had one son Charles and four daughters Margaret ,Molly Maria, and Bridget. Charlie as he was known was the first to have a registered bull in Glann. Charlie O Brien’s Bull was famous.

Maria married James Sullivan from Curraghduff West. James or Jimeen as he was known was a great character and used to play the squeeze box (accordion) and sing.

One of his old favourites was a song written by Terry Hynes from Ballygally.

Have you heard of the dance held at Antfield in Glann. The crowd that attended was three score and one man, When the Campers heard it they hired out Pat Faherty’s Van O the dancing was high and the swingin uneven,

But what would you expect from the ‘musicianor’ John Stephen Bill Clancy was MC but failed to keep order.

So asked Joe Padhraig to sing South of the Border.

And when someone remarked that the fog was getting thick Joe Padhraic had to take home pretty Mary Dick

Their daughter is Mary Rose Mons. Charles lived and farmed at Coosan until recently when his health deteriorated. He now lives with his niece Mary Rose Mons, Matt and their son Patrick. Now in his eighties he must surely hold the record for working at the one job for life, working at Currarevagh for 54 years, not retiring until he was 80 years.

Dún Uisce, owned by Keron and Margaret Sarkar.

Charles O’Brien passed away in Dec 2012.

http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=180826/CharlesO_BRIEN/Oughterard/Galway

Galway Website

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/asp/fullresult.asp?id=52108

Downloads
This page was added on 16/02/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *