The Convent

By The culture and Heritage Group

Dr Joseph Kirwan

1843-1846 “The Faithful Companions of Jesus”, a French order of nuns came to Oughterard by invitation from Dr Joseph Kirwan. Their stay in Oughterard was short lived, because of the abject poverty of the people.

The Sisters of Mercy 

The society deemed it an unsuitable place for the order. The Sisters of Mercy replaced them in 1858. Funds were scarce at first and classes were held in out buildings but by 1863 there were 367 children on the school roll.

Leisler Bats

The convent attic is a nursery roost for Leisler Bats.The wooded areas around the convent and interconnecting hedgerows and tree lines along the trails are important feeding and commuting.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'The Convent' page

The Convent

This page was added by David Collins on 06/07/2010.