Townlands of Oughterard
By Paul Gibbons
Anglicized from Irish: Droimnín
Translates to: “Little ridge”
Drimneen and the bordering townland of Drimnahoon both seem to refer to the relatively low hill ridge which lies west of the Drimneen river and spans from its source in Lough Buffy, in the townland of Carrowndulla, through Raha and on into Magherabeg. Because of the low plain which lays to the north-east of the area the ridge is a prominent topographical feature and hence the reason for the townland’s name.
Size: 39 acres, 1 rods, 34 perchs
In the eastern part of Kilcummin parish. Bounded on the north-west by Raha, on the south-west by Carrowndulla and on the east by Kilannin Parish (Drimnahoon and Killaguile).
Land is very good. It contains 39 and a half acres of tillage, with a small enclosure of plantation. There is nothing remarkable in this townland.
Placenames within townland:
Poulachullia – Translates to “the hole of the rooster”.A hole perpetually filled with water.
Robert Martin (1641)
Robert Martin (1670)
Robert Martin of Ross (c. 1850)
Land Value (1857): £ 13 s.0 d. 0
Buildings Value (1857): £ 5 s. 0 d. 0
Surnames attached to the townland (1857-1911):
Cottingham, Griffin, Vaughan, Rush