Callownamuck

Census Details

Callownamuck

Collownamuck is in the civil parish of Kilcummin. The civil parish corresponds with the following Church of Ireland parish of Kilcummim, Galway West. In general the civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish are the same as is the case in the Kilcummin Oughterard area.

Irish Form of Name: Caladh na Muc

Translation: callow holm or strath of the pigs (swine)

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books

Other Forms of the Name

Callownamuck 
Caladh na Muc 
Callanamuck Boundary Surveyor
Callanmuck Barony Cess Book
Collinamuck County Map
Collanamuck or Swine Harbour Local
Collonomuck Rector of Kilcummin
Colinamuck R. Martin, Esq., Proprietor

Comment:

Callow adopted throughout

Description:

Proprietor Robert Martin, Ross. Land very good. Contains 581 acres about the 1/3 of which is under tillage and pasture, the remainder is brushwood, rough pasture and bog. The Galway and Oughterard road passes through it, South of which are a holy [well] and grave yard. Before a ferry was established at Knock, Parish of Kilannin, people who wanted to bring pigs to Headford Market were ferried across here from whence it got the name of Collenamuck or pig ferry, now a harbour.

Situation:

In the N. Western part of the parish, bounded on the North by Lough Corrib, on the West by Carrowmore Knock and on the South and East by Kilannin Parish.

Proprietor:

Robert Martin Ross. Robert Martin Ross was a member of the Martin of Ross Family.

Landed Estates Database:

· Martin (Ross) – The Martin family were established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O’Flahertys. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O’Hara, daughter of Robert O’Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke’s ”Landed Gentry”, a grandniece of James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates’ Court in May 1885.

· Martin (Ballynahinch) – A branch of the Anglo Norman family of Martin, one of the Tribes of Galway, was granted the O’Flaherty lands in the Connemara region in the mid 17th century. This family were a junior branch of the Martins of Ross and under the Acts of Settlement were granted vast estates in counties Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Clare and Sligo. By a patent dated 1698 they were confirmed in the possession of their Connemara estate known as the Manor of Claremount by King William. The Westport Estate Papers document the sale of over 27,000 acres in the baronies of Moycullen and Ballynahinch by the trustees for the sale of Colonel John Browne’s estate to John Edwards for Richard Martin in 1699. The early generations of Martins lived at Birch Hall and Dangan, in the townland of Oranhill, parish of Rahoon, near Galway city. Richard Martin, better known as ‘Humanity Dick’, was the first member of the family to be reared as a Protestant. He was a famous duellist and founded the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ballynahinch Castle was built in the centre of his estate. His son Thomas Martin died in 1847 during the Famine and Thomas’s only daughter and heir, Mary Laetita, inherited a heavily encumbered estate. She married her cousin, Arthur Gonne Bell, and died in New York in 1850. The Martin estates were offered for sale in two sections in 1849. Their property close to Galway town included Dangan, Corcullen, Bushypark and Killeen. Their Connemara estate was acquired by the Law Life Assurance Society in 1852, to whom it was heavily mortgaged. In 1853 the estate of almost 200,000 acres was surveyed by Thomas Colville Scott for a prospective buyer. Richard Martin, second son of Richard ‘Humanity Dick’ Martin of Ballynahinch, is recorded as holding five townlands in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation although he emigrated to Canada in 1833. He was also recorded as the occupier of Clareville, a Martin home in the village of Oughterard. Many of his descendants still reside in Canada. http://www.martinhistory.net/

The Tithe Applotment Books

About the Records

Tithes were a tax on agricultural produce which was payable by the occupiers of agricultural land. They were the main source of income for the parish clergy of the Church of Ireland (the largest Protestant church and the church established by law). However, in many parishes a large part of the tithes were ‘appropriate’, which meant that they were payable to a bishop, cathedral chapter or other ecclesiastical recipient, or were ‘impropriate’, which generally meant that they were payable to a local landowner. The parishes used in the Tithe Applotment Books are civil or Church of Ireland parishes, which often differ in name and territory from Catholic parishes,

Acts of Parliament of 1823 and 1832 provided for the conversion of tithes into a fixed charge on land, and specified the average price of wheat or oats in the parish in the seven years before 1821 as the basis on which the tithes would be calculated. They also extended the application of tithes to pasture, where previously they had been levied only on tillage.

This change in the law resulted in the valuation of individual holdings in almost all parishes containing agricultural land, in order to assess the portion of the tithes for which each occupier of land would be liable. The apportionment was recorded for each Church of Ireland parish in a Tithe Composition Applotment Book. The information was collected and the amounts were calculated by two Parochial Commissioners, one of whom was appointed by the cess-payers of the parish and the other by the relevant Diocese of the Church of Ireland. This procedure was carried out in over 2,500 parishes between the years 1823 and 1837.

The Tithe Applotment Books are in a variety of formats, from a few pages sewn together to elaborately bound volumes. In most cases they are written in manuscript throughout, although some consist of manuscript entries on printed questionnaires. The information in the books is broadly uniform and generally includes at least the name of occupier; the size of holding, the valuation and the tithe payable. In some cases more detailed information is provided. Some volumes have maps and most have certificates and correspondence attached.

The sub-divisions of the parish were recorded. Some of these subdivisions, such as ploughlands, ceased to be in official use after the six inch survey of the Ordnance Survey was completed in the 1840s. Only productive land was subject to tithe, and the books usually distinguish between this tithable land and untithable land such as roads or mountains. Tithable land was in some cases classified by quality, and a money value was given to each class. In some cases the proportion of tithe payable to the rector, vicar or lay proprietor of the tithes was set out. The column for observations was sometimes completed, with information about commonage, for example.

There are a number of other points that should be noted. The acreages given in the Tithe Applotment Books are in Irish or Plantation measure, which is 1.62 times larger than statute measure. Only occupiers of land at the time of the tithe composition are recorded, so not all heads of households living in a parish at the time are included. Only rural areas are systematically covered, although inhabitants of towns who held plots of cultivable land are included. The equivalent tax in urban areas, Minister’s Money, has left few records.

The Tithe Applotment Books are an important source of information for a wide variety of researchers of pre-Famine Ireland. They provide the first surviving national list of the occupiers of land, and are used by genealogists as a partial substitute for returns of the 1821 and 1831 censuses of population, which were destroyed in 1922. They also record information on the quality of land, and provide information on pre-Ordnance Survey territorial divisions, some of which were not recognised after the 1840s.

The National Archives hold the original Tithe Applotment Books only for the twenty-six counties of the Republic of Ireland. The books for the six counties of Northern Ireland are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast. http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp

Tithe Applotment Record for Callownamuck.

Landholders

Listed in the Tithe Applotment book for Callownamuck in 1829 are; Mark Sweeney, Michl Conneely, Hugh Davin, Wm Connaly & Co.

Land Liable for Tithe

The total land liable for tithes in Callownamuck was 125 acres. This was broken up into five separate columns according to the quality of land.

  • 24 acres of 1st rate quality land with a tithe of 1s 6d per acre.
  •  1 acre of 2nd rate quality land with a tithe of 1s per acre.
  •  40 acres of 3rd rate quality land with a tithe of 3d per acre.
  • 30 acres of 4th rate quality land with a tithe of 1/2 d per acre.
  •  30 acres of 5th rate quality land with a tithe of 1/8 d per acre.

Tithes Payable

The proportion of tithes payable to Richard Martin Esq. was £1 4s 3 ½d, the proportion of tithes payable to Reverend James Daly was 12s 1 ¾ d, and the proportion of tithes payable to Reverend John Wilson was 12s 1 ¾ d.

Griffith’s Valuation 1850s

In Griffith’s Valuation the area is 591 acres 1 roods and 28 perches with a land value of £68 5s 0d and a building value of £4 5s 0d with a total value of £72 10s 0 d.

Occupiers of the Land:

The occupiers of the land at this time were:

Patrick Sweeney, Owen Mealy, James Barrett, Gill Cloonan, John Mc Donagh, William Mealy, Mark Mealy, Peter Murray, Michael Conneevy, Patrick Walsh, Rodger Walsh and Owen Mealy.

The Landlord or immediate leaser was Robert Martin.

Ownership of Land and Property

Patrick Sweeney, Owen Mealy, James Barrett, Gill Cloonan, John Mc Donagh, Peter Murray, Michael Conneevy, Patrick Walsh, Rodger Walsh all owned a house and land. William Mealy and Mark Mealy both owned a house, office and land. Owen Mealy owned offices.

Annual Valuation

The total annual valuation of rateable property in Callownamuck came to £72 10s 0d.

Land Rates: Gill Cloonan, John Mc Donagh, Peter Murray, Michael Conneevy were rated at £5 0s 0d each, Patrick Walsh, Rodger Walsh were rated at £4 0s 0d each, Patrick Sweeney and William Mealy were rated at £7 10s 0d each, Mark Mealy paid £6 10s 0d, Owen Mealy paid £9 5s 0d and James Barret paid £10 0s 0d.

Building Rates: Patrick Sweeney, Gill Cloonan, John Mc Donagh, Peter Murray, Michael Conneevy, Patrick Walsh and Rodger Walsh were rated at £0 5s 0d each and Owen Mealy, James Barrett, William Mealy, Mark Mealy and Owen Mealy were rated at £0 10s 0d each.

Out Offices and Land

The out office was a farm building, a cow house, piggery or barn. The land was very poor and sterile and people were always poverty-stricken. At this time most tenants were trying to eke out a living on 5acres or less and farmers needed at least 15.3 acres to survive. 

Poor Law Union Ireland

In Ireland the Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided into districts or “unions” in which the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony. Further subdivision into 828 registration districts and 3,751 district electoral divisions followed. Townlands were not arranged according to these divisions with parish and barony retained as a means to make comparisons with records gathered before 1898.

The 1838 Act

The main provisions of the 1838 Act were:

  • The extension of the existing Poor Law Commissioners’ powers to Ireland, with the appointment of Assistant Commissioners who were to implement the Act in Ireland.
  • The division of the country into Poor Law Unions based on Irish electoral divisions which were themselves made up from townlands.
  • The creation of a Board of Guardians for each Union, two-thirds of whom were to be elected, the other third to be appointed ex officio.
  • The setting up of a workhouse in each Union.
  • The collection of a local poor-rate to finance the system.
  • Assistance for emigration.

Initially, 130 Unions were created, based upon 2,049 electoral divisions. The divisions were composed of townlands, a peculiarly Irish unit, traditionally of 120 Irish acres in area. (Between 1848 and 1850, an additional 33 Unions were created by subdividing and reorganizing the boundaries of some existing Unions, particularly in the west of the country. 

Boards of Guardians were elected annually on 25th March. Only rate-payers were eligible for election, which effectively disenfranchised most of the native Irish who were usually tenants at this time. Rate-payers were allowed between one and six votes depending on the size of a valuation of their property.

Census 1881/ 1891 

The Table shows that there were 4 Registrar’s Districts and Electorial Divisions in the Oughterard Poor Law Union. The total area of the whole Union was 172,289 acres.  The table gives the number of houses and the population for each district from 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, to 1891.The divisions of the Oughterard Union were Kilcummin, Letterfore, Oughterard and Wormhole. The total number of houses listed in 1841 were 4,465 and by 1881 there were 3,641 houses. The population in 1871 was 19,572 and by 1891 it was 18,975.

Townlands

A town land is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion 1169. Callownamuck is a townland and other place names in or near this townland are:

  • Knockaunshaunmaconry

Cnocán Sheaain Mhic Conroi – John MacConry’s hillock

Other Forms of the Name are Knockaunshaunmaconry, Cnocán Sheaain Mhic Conroi and Cruckaunshanaconree or John King’s hillock (Local).The King’s are the MacConrys. Knockaunshaunmaconry has a Trigl. Stationon it. It is situated in Collinamuck townland.

  • Toberacoonagh

Tobar Chuana – St. Cooney’s Well.

Other Forms of the Name are Toberacoonagh, Tobar Chuana and Tobercoonaugh (Local). John O’Donovan describes it as a Holy Well situated in Callownamuck townland.

1901 Census

This is a return of the members of the family, their Visitors, Boarders, Servants who slept or abode in their house on the night of Sunday March 31st 1901 in Callownamuck

General Information

There were 13 houses listed in the townland of Callownamuck all of which were inhabited on the night of the census. All the people were Roman Catholic and all were born in County Galway.

Farm Buildings and Out Offices

There were a total of 28 farm buildings and outhouses in Callownamuck they consisted of 7 stables, 12 cow sheds, 3 piggery, 1 barn, 4 workshops, and 1 forge.

Description of the Houses

Class of House: The class of house depended on the materials used in the roof, walls, number of rooms and number of front windows. A 1st class house was considered the highest standard.

Walls of the houses: The walls were of stone, brick, and concrete or of mud, wood or other perishable material. The houses in Callownamuck were built of stone, brick or concrete. There were no mud cabins.

Roofs:  Roofs were of slate, iron, tiles, thatch, wood or other perishable material. The roofs of houses were of thatch, wood or perishable material. They were most likely thatched.

House Occupancy

All the houses are listed as Private Dwellings and were occupied by one family. The people listed as the head of the family was also listed as the lawful landholder of the property with the exception of house no. 2 and 4 (see below). There was a population of 55, with 25 males and 30 females residing in the village.

House No. 1 (5 Occupants)

John Feeney aged 35 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Anna aged 30. John was a farmer and had 4 farm buildings and out houses, 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. He and his wife had three children living with them, their daughter Kate aged 3, their son John aged 1 and another daughter Mary whose age is not given. John could not read or write and spoke Irish and English. Anna could read and write and also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 5 people occupied 3 available rooms. Anne Sweeney of Callownamuck is named as the lawful landholder of the house.

House No. 2 (4 occupants)

Daniel Conneely aged 60 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Kate aged 60 who was a housekeeper. Daniel was a farm labourer. Also living in the house were his daughter Celia aged 25 and his son Michl aged 18, also a farm labourer.  Celia and Michl were both single. No one in the house could read or write and they all spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 4 house with no front windows. 4 people occupied 1 available room.

House No. 3 (5 occupants)

Anne Sweeney aged 60 was the head of the family. Anne was a widow. She was a farmer with 1 cow shed. Living with her are her son Rodger aged 37, a farmer’s son, and his wife Winifred aged 37 who was a housekeeper. Rodger and Winifred’s son Patrick aged 1 also lived in the house. Anne’s son Michael aged 50 also lived in the house. All could read and write except Patrick and Michael. All spoke Irish and English, with the exception of Patrick. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 5 people occupied 2 available rooms.

House No. 4 (2 occupants)

John McGrath aged 38 was the head of the family. John was a farm labourer and had 1 stable. Living with John was his sister Bridget aged 36. Neither John nor Bridget was married. John could not read or write Bridget could. Both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 2 people lived in 2 available rooms. Anne Sweeney is named as the lawful landholder of the house.

House No. 5 (3 occupants)

Michael Conneely aged 80 was the head of the family. Michael was a farmer and had 3 out houses, 1 stable, 1 cow shed and a forge. He was widowed and lived with his step son Michael Malia aged 60 listed as a farmers step son and his step daughter Mary Malia aged 40 who was a housekeeper. They could all read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 3 people occupied 2 available rooms.

House No. 6 (10 occupants)

Patrick McEvily aged 46 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Cealia aged 45. Patrick was a farmer and had 3 out houses, 2 cow houses and a piggery. Also living in the house were their 8 children, John aged 21, Ellen aged 18, Mary aged 16, Kate, aged 14, Margaret aged 12, Cela aged 10, James aged 6 and Owen aged 3. The three eldest are listed as Farmer’s son and daughters, Kate and Margaret are scholars. Everyone apart from the three youngest children could read and write. Partick, Cealia, John, Ellen and Mary spoke Irish and English, this information is not given for the 5 youngest in the house. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 10 people occupied 3 available rooms.

 

House No. 7 (7 occupants)

Patrick Sweeney aged 60 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Margaret aged 40. Patrick was a farmer and had 1 cow house. Also living in the house were their daughters Margaret aged 17, Bridget aged 14, Kate aged 12 and their sons William aged 9 and Patrick aged 3. Margaret and Bridget are listed as farmer’s daughter and Kate and William are scholars. All the children apart from the youngest, Patrick could read and write and spoke Irish and English. Patrick and Margaret could not read and spoke Irish. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 7 people occupied in 3 available rooms.

House No. 8 (4 occupants)

Bridget Murray aged 85 was the head of the family. She was a farmer and had 1 cow house. Living with Bridget were her daughter Margaret Mc Donagh aged 44 who was a housekeeper, Margaret’s husband John Mc Donagh aged 46, a farmer’s son and their daughter Bridget Mary aged 5. No one in the house could read, Bridget could speak Irish and Margaret and John spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 4 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 9 (4 occupants)

Patrick Walsh aged 55 was the head of the family. He was a farmer with a stable, a cow house and a shed. Patrick was a widower and lived with his three daughters, Honor aged 22, Mary aged 20 and Margaret aged 18. His daughters were unmarried, and were listed as farmer’s daughters. Patrick could not read and spoke Irish. Patrick’s daughters could read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 4 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 10 (4 Occupants)

John Newell aged 64 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Celia aged 57. John was a tenant farmer and had 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. Also living in the house were his son James aged 26 and his daughter Bridget aged 28. Both are listed as single. Everyone but John could read and write and everyone spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 4 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 11 (7 occupants)

John McDonagh aged 43 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Julia aged 40. John was a farmer and a carpenter, he had 1 cow shed. Also living in the house were his sons Michael aged 10, Patrick aged 8, his daughters Mary aged 7, Kate aged 5 and his son Joseph aged 2. His two eldest children are listed as scholars. Everyone except the three youngest children could read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 7 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 12 (8 occupants)

Rodger Walsh aged 59 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Hanoria whose age is not given. Rodger was a farmer and had 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. Also living in the house were his daughter Mary aged 14, his sons Patrick aged 12, John aged 10, Peter aged 6, Michael aged 4 and his daughter Honoria aged 1. Patrick, John and Peter are listed as scholars, Mary is listed as a farmer’s son. Everyone apart from the three youngest could read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 8 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 13 (5 occupants)

Mary Walsh aged 63 was the head of the family. Mary was a farmer and had 4 out houses, a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed. Mary was widowed and lived with her sons John aged 23, Michael aged 20, both farmer’s sons, and her daughter Honoria aged 25 a farmer’s daughter. All are unmarried. Also living in the house was Mary’s aunt Mary Coneely aged 83 a nurse tender. Mary Coneely was unmarried. Neither Mary Walsh nor Mary Coneely could read or write and spoke Irish. The three youngest in the house could read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 5 people occupied 3 available rooms.

1911 Census

This is a return of the Members of families in Callownamuck, their visitors, boarders and servants who slept or abode in the house on the night of Sunday the 2nd of April 1911.

Description of the Houses

All the houses in Callownamuck were listed as private dwellings and were built of concrete or stone.  The roofs of the houses were of wood, thatch or other perishable material. Most likely they were thatched. The heads of the families were listed as the landholders except houses 12 and 13 (see below). One family lived in each property. The Class of the house depended on the material used in the roof, walls, number of rooms and number of front windows. Most of the houses came under “2’ in the census form meaning that there could be 2, 3, or 4, rooms in the house. One house came under ‘1’ which meant there was 1 room in the house.

 

General Information

One family lived in each of the 13 houses listed. They were all Roman Catholics and the head of the family was the landholder except house 12 and 13. There were a total of 59 people living in the village, 34 males and 25 females. There were a total of 46 farm buildings in the village. These were 8 stables, 8 coach houses, 13 cow houses, 12 piggeries and 5 barns

House No.1 (7 occupants)

John McDonagh aged 55 was the head of the family. He lived with his wife Julia aged 50. John and Julia were married 13 years. Julia had one child born alive and one child still living. John was a farmer and a carpenter and had a cow house and a piggery. Also living in the house were his sons Michael aged 20, Patrick aged 19, both farmers’ sons, his daughters Mary aged 17, Catherine aged 15 and his son John Jos aged 12. They three youngest were scholars. Everyone in the house could read and write and all spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 7 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 2 (8 occupants)

Mary Walsh aged 72 was the head of the family. She was a farmer and had 5 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Mary was a widow. She lived with her son John aged 36 and her daughter in law Catherine Walsh aged 40 and her grand children John aged 7, Patrick aged 6, Laurence aged 2 and Mary, her age not given. John and Catherine were married 9 years and had 4 children born alive and 4 still living. Mary’s grandson, John was a scholar. Also living in the house is Mary Conneely aged 89; she is listed as a lodger. Only John, Mary‘s son could read and write. Mary, John and Catherine spoke Irish and English, Mary Conneely spoke Irish. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 8 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 3 (6 occupants)

Rodger Walsh aged 49 was the head of the family. Rodger was a farmer and had 4 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house , 1 cow house and 1 piggery. He lived with his wife Honor aged 49. Rodger and Honor were married 26 years and had 8 children born alive and 8 still living. Also living in the house were his son John aged 19, daughter Delia aged 18, son Peter aged 15 and daughter Julia aged 6. The youngest children are scholars. Everyone could read and write and all spoke Irish and English except the youngest Julia, this information is not given. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 6 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 4 (3 occupants)

John Mc Donagh aged 55 was the head of the family. He was a farmer and had 1 cow house and 1 piggery. He lived with his wife Margaret aged 55. John and Margaret were married 20 years and had 1 child born alive and 1 child still living. Also living in the house was hid daughter Bridget aged 14 who was a scholar. Only Bridget could read and write, John and Margaret could not read. They all spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 3 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 5 (8 occupants)

Patrick Walsh aged 70 was the head of the family. Patrick was a farmer and had 5 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Patrick was a widower and lived with his daughter Honor Faherty aged 34 and her husband James Faherty aged 50. James is listed as a farmer’s son in law. James and Honor were married 9 years and had 5 children born alive and 5 still living. Also living in the house were Patrick’s 5 grandsons, Timothy Faherty aged 8, Patrick Faherty aged 7, John Faherty aged 5, Michael Faherty aged 3 and Martin Faherty whose age is not given. The two eldest children were scholars. Patrick Walsh and his three youngest grandsons could not read James and Honor Faherty and their two eldest children could read and write. The adults and Timothy Faherty spoke Irish and English, this information is not given for the youngest children. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 8 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 6 (2 occupants)

John Newell aged 73was the head of the family. He was farmer and had 4 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. John lived with his wife Sarah aged 70. John and Sarah were married 40 years and had 6 children born alive and 2 children still living. Neither John nor Sarah could read and both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 2 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 7 (4 occupants)

Margaret Sweeny aged 50 was the head of the family. Mary was a farmer and had 4 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. She was a widow and lived with her three sons, William aged 19 and a farmer’s son, Patrick aged 13 and John aged 8, both scholars. Margaret could not read her sons could read and write. Everyone apart from John spoke Irish and English, the information is not given for him. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 4 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 8 (1 occupant)

Mary Malia aged 60 was the head of the family and the only occupant of the house. Mary was a widow, and had no children. She was a farmer and had a cow house and a piggery. Mary could read and write and spoke Irish and English. She lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 1 person occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 9 (6 occupants)

Patrick McEvily aged 59 was the head of the family. Patrick was a farmer had 5 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. He lived with his wife Selia aged 57. Patrick and Selia were married 34 years and had 9 children born alive and 9 still living. Also living in the house were his daughters, Margaret M aged 20, a farmer’s daughter and single and Celia aged 17 and his sons James aged 14 and Owen P aged 13, both scholars. Everyone in the house could read and write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 2 house with 3 front windows. 6 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 10 (5 occupants)

Rodger Sweeney aged 50 was the head of the family. Rodger was a farmer and had 5 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. He lived with his wife Winaford aged 50. They were married 12 years and had 2 children born alive and 2 children still living. Also living in the house were his son Patrick Jos aged 11 and his daughter Annie M aged 9, both were scholars. Rodger’s brother, Michael Sweeney aged 68 also lived in the house. Michael was a basket maker. All could read and write except Michael who could not read. Rodger, Winaford and Michael spoke Irish and English, this information is not given for the children. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 5 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 11 (9 occupants)

John Feeney aged 50 was the head of the family. John was a farmer and had 5 out houses, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. He lived with his wife Anne aged 35. John and Anne were married 14 years and had 7 children born alive and 7 still living. Also living in the house were his 7 children, daughter Catherine A aged 13, son John S aged 12, daughter Mary aged 10, son Daniel M aged 8, daughter Bridget aged 5 and sons Mark aged 4 and Patrick Joe aged 2. The 4 eldest children were scholars. Everyone could read and write apart from the 3 youngest children. John, Anne and the two eldest children spoke Irish and English, this information is not given for the younger children. They lived in a class 3 house with 2 front windows. 9 people occupied 3 available rooms.

House No. 12 (2 occupants)

John McGrath aged 71 was the head of the family. He was a farm labourer and had 2 out houses, a cow house and a piggery. John lived with his sister Bridget aged 63. They were both unmarried. Bridget could read and write John could read only, both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 2 people occupied 2 available rooms. Rodger Sweeney was the legal landholder of the property.

House No. 13 (2 occupants)

Catherine Conneely aged 73 was the head of the family. Catherine was a widow and lived with her daughter Celia aged 32. Celia was single. They had 1 out house, a cow house. Catherine and Celia were wool spinners. Catherine could not read Celia could read and write. They both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a class 3 house with 1 front window. 2 people occupied 1 available room. Rodger Sweeney was the legal landholder of the property.

 

This page was added on 13/02/2015.

Comments about this page

  • Lovely to read about my mother’s home & my Grand parents, John & Julia McDonagh.

    By Deirdre Walsh (03/03/2018)
  • Regarding query by Marie Purtill (McDonough), records show that a site for a school was given by the Martin family of Ross c1835.
    A document posted in February 2014 – Proni Document: D/3618/D/15/4 gives a copy of a letter dated February 23rd 1881 from Rev. R. McDonagh P.P. Oughterard to Vere Foster stating that the Collinamuck School is now finished. It gives the measurements as 40 length x 24 breath x 12 height, slated and boarded. This document is accessible via Google – Collinamuck Emigrants.

    In 1957 Mr Simon J. Kelly, Architect, Galway was commissioned by Rev. McCullagh P.P. Oughterard to draw plans for a church on the site of the old school.

    Regards,

    Jim

    By Jim (14/11/2015)
  • It was very strange but exciting to see my grandmother mentioned in the census of 1901 and 1911 aged 4 and 14 respectively, along with her parents and her own grandmother! I only remember her as a lovely older lady. I think the Oughterard Heritage page is great, I always read everything on there and love all of the photos new and old I wish my dad was alive to see all this, he was born in Collinamuck in 1926 but moved to London as a young man for work and married and settled there. I have not visited Galway or Collinamuck for a few years now but always remember having a great time there when all of the McDonagh family got together. (for some reason our name was mis-spelled when my dad came to England. – This is a great website.

    On another note, would anybody know where the children from Collinamuck went to school in the 1920s onwards before the National School was built ?

    Kindest regards

    Marie Purtill (McDonough)

    By Marie Purtill (McDonough) (06/08/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *